Monday, January 16, 2012

Cinnamon...I Mean Synonym

I am lovin' my 3 day weekend! Yes, yes, YES! I know we've only been in school 8 days this year, but boy was I needing a day to sleep in again! I was so thankful for the long winter break, but it was really hard for me to get in gear again!

Anyways, here is something "sweet" we did last week... and please forgive my crooked pictures!!

Once of our lessons was on synonyms. I love teaching synonyms because it really helps build my class' vocabulary. I am so sick of them writing, "It was so fun. I am so happy..." I know they are capable of being amazing writers, so I was really delighted to sweeten up their language! Found on the amazing Pinterest, here are Synonym Rolls!

Pinned Image
Picture from Life is Better Messy Anyway!

After a mini-lesson on synonyms, the students were very excited to begin "baking" their rolls. Their first job was to use only their brain to think of one "boring" word. Some common words from my class included nice, good, pretty and easy. After they thought of their word, they needed to continue using only their brain to brainstorm synonyms on their own. After a few minutes, I let them find a partner to get help from a friend's brain. My little social butterflies loved this part and conversation immediately filled my classroom. I loved hearing the kiddos say, "That's a boring word. We can do better than that!" After working together to add more words to their list, the partners could use a thesaurus to finish off the list. There were many "aha" moments when the kids read some of the words in the thesaurus.





Now that they had a list to work off of, it was time to put together the rolls. The students cut a circle out of manila paper, wrote their first word in the middle of the circle, and then drew a spiral with their brown crayon. Then, they wrote their synonyms on the spiral lines. Once their synonym rolls were "done", we placed them on a piece of foil for the hallway bulletin board.






To spice this activity up, we ate some Cinnabon Cereal my teammate picked up.  They taste just like mini cinnamon rolls, with a little crunch! I seriously had to hide them from myself before the activity started because they would have been gone!  :)

If you want the sign I used for the bulletin board...here it is!

Synonym Rolls

14 comments:

  1. Looks like I'm follower #5. Welcome to your new blog. It looks good!
    Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fellow Texan! Your posts are precious. Keep up the great work!!!!

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!I am an follower!!!! I like your blog!sharon.washington96@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    I love this idea and the name of your blog. I am a new follower.
    Tammy
    primaryparadise.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this idea! Look forward to seeing other "sweet" ideas.
    I'm follower #26!
    Joy
    Teaching Living History Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for sharing. Great idea. Just found your blog, so glad I did.I am your newest follower. You might like to check out my blog sometime at Classroom Fun. http://rhondabaldacchino.blogspot.com.au
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah, Just found your site and am a new follower. Love the name of your blog!

    Your Synonym Rolls Activity and Chart are adoorable, but Scrib'd would not allow me to download your chart {message said it was an "archived document} without paying a fee r uploading something of my own. Is there a way for you to reset it so it is not in the "archive"? Thanks!
    primary practice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

    Selina
    http://classroommagic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you synonym rolls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this idea!!! I used this idea in my classroom last week :)
    If you have time, maybe you could swing by and check out mine :)

    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a student in my last semester of teaching methods courses and I am always looking for ideas for my lessons and for next semester when I student teach. I love this idea of synonym rolls. I'm a new follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! This post is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing! I am excited to be your newest follower!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea! You are too cute!
    I can't wait to try this!

    Heidi
    http://inthatroomwithheidiharrell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. click here for more Hello there, click for source I found your website via Google while searching for a related topic, click here for more info your web site came up, it looks good. click for more I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete